Staffing and Employment Policy
Statement of intent
We provide a high staffing ratio to ensure that children have sufficient individual attention and to guarantee care and education of a high quality. Our staff are all qualified and are checked for criminal records through the DBS in accordance with Ofsted's requirements, to ensure that children and their parents are offered high quality care and education.
- To meet this aim we use the following ratios of adult to child:
- children aged 2 years of age: 1 adult : 4 children
- children aged 3/4years: 1 adult : 8 children
- A minimum of two staff are on duty at any one time.
- We use a key person system to ensure that each child and their family have a particular member of staff to go to for any discussions and consultations.
- We hold regular staff meetings to undertake curriculum planning and to discuss children's progress, their achievements and any difficulties which may arise from time to time.
- We work towards offering equality of opportunity by using non-discriminatory procedures for staff recruitment and selection.
- All staff have job descriptions which set out their roles and responsibilities.
- We welcome applications from all sections of the community. Applicants will be considered on the basis of their suitability for the post, regardless of marital status, age, gender, culture, religious belief, ethnic origin or sexual orientation. Applicants will not be placed at a disadvantage by us imposing conditions or requirements which are not justifiable.
- Our Early Years staff hold the relevant level 3 or level 2 qualifications in Early Years and Childcare.
- We provide regular in-house training to all staff on Safeguarding or other.
- Our preschool budget allocates resources to training.
- We provide staff induction training in the first week of employment. This induction includes our Health and Safety Policy and Procedures and Safeguarding Children Policy and Procedures. Other policies and procedures will be introduced within an induction plan.
- We support the work of our staff by holding regular supervision meetings and annual appraisals.
- We are committed to recruiting, appointing and employing staff in accordance with all relevant legislation and best practice.
- We use Ofsted guidance on obtaining references and criminal record checks through the DBS for staff and volunteers who will have substantial access to children.